Adsense Banner Top

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Slate article on Shy Bladder

Here : http://www.slate.com/id/2065670/

One of the interesting quotes from the article (by Steven Soifer, author of the book, and recovering Shy Bladder sufferer himself :

Even with therapy, will a shy bladder ever feel at ease at the ballpark trough? "I've suffered from paruresis for 30 years," Soifer says, "and I've been in recovery for the last six. I'm not cured. It's a lot like alcoholism. You can recover close to 100 percent, but it can get set off again in certain situations. That's why I don't talk about a cure.

This is not the sort of thing I like to hear. I want to know that I can make it to 100% cured and stay that way. Even so, I would be happy to be in remission for the rest of my life. Suffering Shy Bladder might be like an addiction in that way, you can be "free" but the experience of ever having had it leaves you forever changed and forever potentially susceptible. "JohnW" suggests as much in his recovery story (analysis of recover stories here).

That's a good enough reason to work on Graduated Exposure Therapy now, so that should I slip back I will always have the tools necessary to cure myself again.

Further reading :

Can you ever really be cured of Shy Bladder?

No comments: